Saturday, August 13, 2011

Exploring Philippines 30 - Vigan (Post 1 - Heritage Village)

I have had several plans and attempts to visit Vigan but things did not work out until this summer of 2011. For the very first time, after those yearning years, here I was exploring the streets of Vigan.

Jay was born and raised from this very town and even though he and his family are staying in Manila already, he still finds time to visit his grandparents every summer. I am extremely happy and grateful that Jay invited me over for several days to explore Vigan and the nearby places.
We stayed at his grandparents house located along Calle Crisologo and it takes only several minutes of walking  towards the much acclaimed Vigan heritage village. And just like any first timers, I had my own share of awe and marvel of the sight that unfolds before me.

After having our lunch, we proceed to the heritage village right away. Along the way, we came across a group of individuals who were doing a promotional shoot for the Panatang Makabayan (oath of allegiance) for the department of tourism. It was good that the people behind this project allowed me to participate in taking pictures.

The shoot took place beside Casa Feril, one of the well-maintained and noticeable buildings along the village. Since Jay happens to know the owner of the place, we were given a rare opportunity  to had a glimpse of it. Owners of houses and buildings in this village are not really open to entertaining strangers like me into their domain.  I guess we value our own privacy above all else. But because of family and friends, we heartily open our doors to them, just like my experience with Casa Feril.

After reaching the end of Calle Crisologo, right after the rotunda, lies the Cathedral of Vigan. For most catholic visitors, a visit to the church is always part of the itinerary and Vigan Cathedral should not be missed. For some first timers, aside from praying, they used to wish once they kneel inside the church. But for me, I usually recite my prayer of thanks.

At the opposite part of the town plaza lies the Capitol building of Ilocos Sur.  Several meters further  was the house of Father Burgos which was converted into a National Museum that is manage by the national government.

At first, this whole place looks like a huge one but if you are used to walking, you'll noticed that a nook  or a spot is just across a couple of streets. Actually, if you are a visitor, you'll be able to explore and discover more things when you walk rather than taking a ride.

After a roundup, Jay took me to Irene's to taste the famous empanada in town. Actually, when I am out of town, I am always looking forward to savor new and exciting food. Though I am not that adventurous when it comes to food, still, I want to try new stuff.

Irene's place has several tables to accommodate customers. The cooking area is situated near the entrance of the place where customers can actually watch and observe how the empanada is being prepared. The people preparing the food were kind enough to grant my request to take some shots while they prepare the food. From time to time, they gave me some time to capture what they're preparing and I am very grateful for their kindness.

Our day was not yet over because come nighttime, we will be back for more pics.


more pics

























No comments:

Post a Comment