Sunday, March 17, 2013

Food Trip 113 - Sweet Duco Lanzones

It was November and I was on my way home to Manila.  I took the Oriental Mindoro route and somewhere in Naujan, fruit stalls are lining along both sides of the national highway.

It is always a delight on my part whenever the bus stops.  Well, the most enjoyable one would be relieving yourself after long hours of traveling.  Aside from this, some worthy scenery would always be appreciated. And perhaps the most exciting part is finding something that would fill a hungry stomach.

Anyway, I got off from the bus and went immediately to the nearest fruit stand.  One particular fruit immediately called my attention.  Lanzones!  That time, they were selling three varieties of lanzones.  But the one that makes my mouth water was the sweet duco lanzones.  I was made to believe that this variety of lanzones being sold in Divisoria ang Quiapo comes directly from Thailand.  They usually sell it at 120 pesos a kilo and at times reaching to even 200 pesos.  But here at Mindoro, a kilo only costs 70 pesos and with a modest handful of add-ons.

What I love about duco lanzones is its sweetness.  Its taste is distinct and far different from the local ones.  It was good that here at Mindoro, they were able to plant and grow this variety.  The skin of duco lanzones is thinker and a bit rough compared with the local variety.  Upon peeling off, there's no white resin from its skin unlike with the local variety.  Once the its skin is peeled off, its entire fruit meat remains intact and don't just fall apart.

No comments:

Post a Comment