Sunday, July 1, 2012

Food Trip 76 - Daing na Lapu-Lapu

Daing na isda or dried fish is a common food in the Philippines and a favorite for some.  Especially during the rainy season, a dried fried fish is a perfect partner for fried rice or even with any vegetable dish.


Dried fishes are normally smaller in sizes, enough not to overcrowd the frying pan and can be easily divided among the members of a family.  In far flung areas of the country where fresh fishes are scarce, one can expect some dried fishes in a basket hanging somewhere in the kitchen area.

I was surprised when the family of Eric sent me four large dried lapu-lapu fish.  I know that this kind of fish is quite expensive and I have not known that a lapu-lapu fish can simply be dried just like any common dried fishes.  It has been two years since my last visit to Eric's place in Palawan and I am thankful because every now and then, his family never fails to send me something every time there is an opportunity.

My colleagues, upon learning that I had this dried fish, got curious and excited as well. The moment I opened the package, the smell of the dried fish literally filled our office.  Though the odor of the dried fish was strong, it gave an impression that it must be something good.  Since it was more than enough for me, I share it with them.

It's been awhile since my last taste of a dried fish. Actually, I can no longer recall the last time I ate one.  Since the dried lapu-lapu was too big and I cannot ate all of it in a single cooking, I sliced some portions out of it and fried those small cuts.  Before I fry them, I soaked them first in the water in order to get rid of the salty taste. 

The smell of the fried dried fish really made my mouth water. When the cuts were half-cooked, I brushed them with oyster sauce which gave a more satisfying taste other than salty.  Since it was a lapu-lapu fish, it was all lean meat.  It was perfect for a newly cooked steamed rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment