Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Moment 78 - Photo Walk

My winning shot
A friend of mine texted me about a photo walk event which would take place by July 7, 2012.  Since I was free that particular date, I promised to join the said event.

I had no idea what was going to happen and my friend oriented me with some details of it.  The registration fee would be 100 pesos which will be used to feed some street children after the event.  There were prizes at stake to be awarded to deserving participants.  And for sure, it would be a fun filled activity.

The call time was between 7am-8am in front of Quiapo church.  When I arrived at around quarter to 8am, there were less than 20 participants who patiently waited for the rest of the group.  My friend told me that there were more than 50 interested participants who signed for the said event.  But with the given weather that fruitful Saturday morning, it seemed that some of them would not be joining us.  Luckily for us, the rain only lasted for several minutes and at around 9am, all those registered participants arrived and we were ready to explore the Quiapo and Binondo areas.

We were divided by groups and each group was comprised of six members.  Our task for the day was to capture the street life as we cruise the area.  We were asked to return at around 11am in front of Quiapo church.

After almost two hours of covering some parts of Quiapo and Binondo, capturing the street life as we saw them, we returned to our holding area.  We were then asked to select one best shot and show it to the waiting judge.  From each group, the judge will select a stand out entry which will later compete with other participants from the other groups.  I had two possible entries and the one I chose did not qualify for the next round.

When my entry was not picked, I was not disheartened because I really had a great time that morning.  Winning something would be a great consolation but you can't win in every thing.  Well, I tried and it is always part of the contest that not all may gain recognitions.  You win some and you lose some.  Two of our teammates made it to the next round and one of them was the youngest of our group, an unexpectant participant.

I don't know what entered my mind. When the next group presented their shots, I joined them and I was surprised that the judge acknowledged my picture.  But I was quick to tell him that I belong to the group which he screened earlier.  Nevertheless, he considered my entry and I was glad about it.

After the final judging, the three of us won some prizes.  The other member of our group won a one day photography seminar while the two of us won a free shirt each.  Since the shirts were colors yellow and blue, we decided to play rock paper scissor and the winner will have the right to pick the shirt of his choice.  Since I won the game, I chose the blue one.

No comments:

Post a Comment