Saturday, July 14, 2012

Exploring Philippines 78 - Marinduque (Post 13 - Gasan Gasan Festival)

It was Easter Sunday and our last day in Marinduque. We woke up early because we still had several activities to cover.

At around 8am, we were already in Gasan - the neighboring town of Boac.  Every Easter Sunday, they celebrate their Gasan-Gasan festival.  We were accompanied by the uncle of Tin, Mr. Pete Magturo, who happens to be a news stringer of GMA 7 in Marinduque.

The moment we set foot in Gasan, we were given a limited time to explore the place and the ongoing festivity.  Since Gasan is a small town, I simply followed the influx of people which led me to the town's plaza.  That particular moment, all the participants were on their feet and were eager to compete.

I had not yet fully covered all the participants who converged in the plaza when the organizer gave a signal for the parade to start.  Since I was near the stage, I had to hurry and squeeze myself with the participants in order to get ahead of them.  After covering some distance, I found myself in a frenzy along with other onlookers and fellow photographers.  Though I missed some other groups, I content myself with the remaining groups as they pass by.

After the last group, I asked around about the route of the parade.  I was glad because I was directed to the adjacent street.  And for a small town like Gasan, it was easy to move around.  And after some time, true enough, I finally saw the first few groups I missed.

I must admit that I had so much fun taking pictures to my heart's content that morning.  The participants were all smiling almost all the time and it was not hard to asked for some worthy moments from them as they perform.  I guess they are already used to the situation were they are the stars of the show and they always give their best.

How time flies when you're having fun.  Our limited engagement at Gasan-Gasan festival took a couple of hours.  We had to leave right away because we still had to witness the beheading of Longinus in Mogpog, a town after Boac.







































No comments:

Post a Comment