Saturday, June 30, 2012

Exploring Philippines 76 - Marinduque (Post 11 - Moriones Festival)

I could not believe that I was able to survive the station of the cross that morning.  I was only able to take my brunch right after the station of the cross and it was already quarter to 12. The two-hour marathon around the town of Boac proved to be exciting and challenging for me and for these reasons, I was not mindful of my empty stomach.  This was also my first time to experience Good Friday outside our home and I must say that this experience was truly an unforgettable one.

After our brunch, we stayed at the house of Tin and spent some time with her family.  They shared so many exciting and heart warming stories about the Moriones tradition as well as the participation of the family to this festival.  Time and again, just by participating in the Moriones festival always bring joy and pride to the family.

It was almost 1pm when the station of the cross ended.  When the lone participant from the family of Tin went home, we asked permission to try the complete Morion outfit which they gladly approved.  The wooden headdress alone is heavy for a first timer like me and the whole outfit could literally make one perspire heavily under the heat of the sun.  No wonder the outfit was a bit smelly. Hehe.  Plus the fact that the whole outfit should be worn from Wednesday to Sunday (except for Black Saturday) without washing/cleaning it.  I guess it does not really matter if you are the only one wearing it and smelling your own sweat is no big deal.

We waited for the procession that day and it started at around 5pm.  As expected, devotees from around the town flocked to the church and to the route where the procession will pass.  This kind of activity, just like in any rural areas around the country, is one important occasion for the faithful that should be observed.  And here in Boac, it seemed like the whole town participated that time.






No comments:

Post a Comment