Saturday, July 21, 2012

Exploring Philippines 79 - Marinduque (Post 14 - Beheading of Longinus)

We were only able to cover the parade of Gasan-Gasan festival.  We no longer witness the exhibition of the participants because we were in a hurry to cover the beheading of Longinus in Mogpog which according to the locals of Marinduque is one of the must see event during the Moriones festival. And shortly before 11am, we were already in the town plaza of Mogpog.

Upon our arrival at the plaza of Mogpog, the court was already covered by spectators - young and old alike.  The parade was over and everyone was anticipating for the grand event that day, the beheading of Longinus.  But prior to the beheading, prizes were given to deserving Morion participants in various categories.

Since the plaza was already crowded with spectators, I was hesitant at first and I find it hard to squeeze myself with the crowd.  But since I was with a reporter and we had our cameras, upon seeing us, the locals easily provided as a narrow entrance towards the middle of the court.  The moment we set foot on the court, we content ourselves taking pictures of the Morion participants while they await for the announcement of winners.

While we were busy taking pictures and the winners were receiving their plaques and cash rewards, I was surprised when there were some commotions inside the court.  With the outburst of shouting and people scampering away, I was trying to figure out what was happening.  I was oriented by sir Pete that the person the people were trying to avoid was Longinus.

According to what had happened from the past, Longinus was a Roman guard who was assigned to Jesus Christ.  When the side of Jesus Christ was perched by a spear coming from another Roman guard, a drop of Christ's blood landed on the deformed eye of Longinus.  After that incident, Longinus deformed eye was cured and became a believer of Christ.  After becoming a believer of Christ, he was hunted by the Roman soldiers, lost his sanity, until he was beheaded.

Here in Mogpog, this tradition is very much alive and is always the main attraction during the culmination of Lenten festivities.  And for a visitor like me, it is a spectacular event to witness first hand.

People were screaming every time Longinus "harassed" them.  I could not blame them because at that particular moment, Longinus had already "lost his sanity."  He had been seen rolling in the mud in order to effectively play his role. And every time he held a person, it was a moment of "getting dirty" with Longinus.  As for us covering the said event, we'd been warned to keep our distance because Longinus will not spare us, likewise.

After the awarding ceremony, at around 12 noon, Longinus was caught by the soldiers and brought to the stage for beheading.  Upon seeing Longinus up the stage, the crowd suddenly rushed to the front of the stage to have a better view of the proceedings.  All of a sudden, I found myself squeezed by eager spectators.  Since I was near the stage where the beheading would took place, I tried my best to capture the moment.


And without warning, the head of Longinus rolled on the stage's floor.  Everyone were shouting.  The moment I felt the liquid squirted, I docked and hid my camera behind a lady photographer.  When I looked around, everyone near the stage were literally covered with "blood."  I, too, had a share of the squirt but not that much.  Those who were in front of me got most of the red liquid coming from the beheading of Longinus.  The moment the head of Longinus was held up, everyone exclaimed joyfully.


The event ended upon loading the lifeless body of Longinus into a truck to be brought to the cemetery.  Behind the truck, the local band marches while playing tunes befitting the event.

I would like to express my gratitude to the Magturo family for the warm reception and accommodation during our five days stay at Marinduque.  Indeed, this lenten experience proved to be meaningful, soul enriching, enjoyable, and full of surprises.




























No comments:

Post a Comment