Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Moment 135 - Pierced Pig


During my childhood years, I grew up in the province where most families raise hogs, chicken, and ducks in their backyard.  The money earned from these is an additional support to the everyday needs of the family for several months.  Though the amount earned in selling these animals is not that big, still, any extra amount is always a welcome opportunity for poor families.

When I went to Leyte, just like in any other remote areas in the country, the same scenario could be seen where families raise these animals.  But out of the common animals they raise, the pigs caught my attention.  Though the pigs are no different from the rest of the pigs in other areas, I was amused to see pigs with pierced ears and being joined by a rope.  I thought that the pigs here have some kind of fashion statement. Hehe. Most probably, the PETA group will protest against this kind of “handling” towards these animals.  Anyway, I learned that the purpose of piercing is for the animals to catch them easily once they allowed to freely roam the neighborhood.


No comments:

Post a Comment