Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Moment 134 - Honeybee

It was only during my adult years when I happened to see a real honeybee.  Even though I grew up in the province, I don't have any encounter with honeybees.

Here in the city of Manila, I am surprise to find them looking for their food.  It is a common knowledge that they after for nectar but  here in the city, it is different.  They are after for the juice extract of pineapple.  For several occasions, I always encounter honeybees whenever there's a fruit stand selling sliced pineapples.  Whenever I ask the vendors if there's a honeybee nest around, they are clueless.

One time, when my nephew and I went out and spend an afternoon in Baywalk, we were surprised when a honeybee landed on his shirt.  At first, he was scared because the sting may hurt him and may cause some itchiness.  No matter how my nephew moved, the honeybee was unmindful and continued to cling on his shirt.  

Based on what I watched on tv, honeybees use the sun as their compass.  Since it was almost dark and the sun was no longer around that time, the honeybee could no longer find its way home.  I don't know if the white shirt of my nephew attracted the honeybee.  But whatever it was, we just let it stick for a while.  And soon after, without noticing it, it simply flew away.  We don't know if it will ever survive the night away from its hive.

No comments:

Post a Comment