Saturday, August 10, 2013

Exploring Philippines 134 - Palawan (Post 1 - Puerto Princesa)

After the summer break of 2010, I was quite excited because it means another out-of-town adventure in the making.   Last 2009, I was in Coron, Palawan. Since I fell in love with the place, I promised myself that I will be returning to Palawan. This time around, I planned to go to Puerto Princesa in Palawan.  And I cannot hide my excitement the moment that day finally came.

At first, I thought of getting a packaged tour worth four thousand pesos which is good for three days and two nights stay.  But something good took place.  A friend who is from Palawan was also going home and the moment he learned about my plan, he invited me stay with them.  He admitted though that he has not yet explored his province and he was also excited because it would be his first time to visit the places I mentioned to him.  As to our itinerary, he jokingly said that it will be up to Batman the moment we will be there already.

We took the last trip of Cebu Pacific that day because the fare was lower compared to other rates on earlier schedule.  Before six in the evening, we were already aboard the plane.  Since it was a week end and a summer break, the place was fully occupied and there were lots of tourists also.

Some minutes after taking off and with the plane’s steady course in the air, we managed to get a good view of the sunset in the sky.  I always welcome an opportunity to watch the setting of the sun, just like that time, and it always remind me of my childhood days.  Way back in the province and during summer days, we will walk to the beach and patiently wait for the setting of the sun.  During sunset, it is the only time where we can look directly at the sun and it turns awesome when it loses its bright color.  And the moment it starts to drop towards the horizon, as you hold your breath, it disappears fast.  Soon after, the whole place is blanketed by darkness.

After an hour and 15 minutes, we arrived safely at Puerto Princesa airport.  Since it was already night time, I was not able to see the entire airport but Eric told me that it has a short runway.  He added that there is a plan to extend the airport and make it bigger in order to cater to more planes because Palawan is among the top tourist destinations of the country.      

The moment we stepped outside the airport, Eric hired a tricycle bound for home.  He said that there is no taxi in Puerto Princesa.  The minimum fare then was seven pesos and the town of Puerto Princesa is not really that big for one to worry about the fare.  For large and heavy baggage, it will be charge the same amount as the fare. 

As we travel the road from the airport to the town proper, I saw several lodging houses, hotels, and inns near the airport road.  Alongside with these establishments are restaurants that were equivalent busy come summer season.  Eric told me that we will cruise this area before going back to Manila.

We were greeted by Eric’s grandmother when we arrived at their house.  His family stays on an island far away from the city where they earn their living.  Anyway, the dinner was simple and after settling down our things, we went to the nearby baywalk. 

The place is similar to the baywalk in Manila but it is far vast considering its land area.  Open space events like disco and concerts are held here.  There are several food stalls to choose from as well as bikes for rent to roam around the open space.  That time, there were plenty of city folks who were enjoying their evening at the park.

While we were scouting the place, one particular thing that caught my attention was the symbol of peacock.  During the term of Mayor Edward Hagedorn, he adopted this symbol in order to represent the city of Puerto Princesa.  It is a bit funny but the truth is, I still have to see a live peacock.

Since we will be staying for a bit longer, I went to a nearby food stall that sells mango shake.  It was summer time and the right season for mangoes.  Mango is one of my favorite fruit and I always find time to enjoy myself with this little indulgence.  I was lucky to approach a friendly seller and I was able to ask for some extra milk.  And my mango shake turned out to be a great tasting one.

When I am out, I usually distance myself with street foods.  You cannot blame me for not liking them because commercially prepared street foods have normally poor sanitary preparation.  If it is prepared meticulously, then, I will not have second thoughts trying it.  But Eric tried to convince me to try the local fishball.  He said that unlike in other areas, the local fishball has a distinct taste and is not frozen.  The locals are the ones preparing the fish ball and the real fish meat could be tasted.  True enough, it was tastier compared with other frozen fish balls.  That time, a stick of five fishballs costs only three pesos.

After our night stroll at the town’s baywalk and within town proper, we went back to his place to rest.  The idea of tomorrow’s activities excites me.  And before midnight, I already dozed off.


No comments:

Post a Comment