Sunday, June 30, 2013

Food Trip 128 - One Set

Going to different places would mean new adventures.  Even with food, it is always an adventure to try something which is intriguing.  One needs to have an open mind and a willing spirit even for just a test taste.  In this manner, if ever you have a host, they’ll have a good impression on you.


My host for my Leyte trip kept on urging me to try one of their exotic food, the “one set”.  I tried to ask what is “one set” but he said that I’ll soon find out about it.  Since I am not that adventurous about foods, I just said I’ll give it a try if my I can stomach it.

My friend’s uncle promised to prepare “one set” for me in order to complete my experience in their place.  It was an all boys affair at around 9am.  The moment we entered the nipa hut where they spend their drinking session all the time, the “one set” was already ready.

“One set” is made up of carabao’s hide, chest with nipples, testicles, and penis.  This stuff is a prized delicacy among the locals and they enjoy this food over rounds of “bahal.”  Actually, there is nothing special about the way it was prepared.  It was boiled in water with spices until the meat becomes tender.  Once it becomes tender, the different body parts will be sliced into bite sizes.  And if you are not aware about its composition, you cannot determine afterwards what kind of carabao part you are eating.

No comments:

Post a Comment