Sunday, June 23, 2013

Food Trip 127 - Ginataang Hito

Hito or catfish are usually abundant in wet farmlands.  I am not really particular if they are being raised commercially.  My understanding is, this kind of fish becomes available the moment wet season is at hand.

During my growing up years, my family used to prepare a hito dish which is inasal, sinampalukan, with bayabas leaves or batwan, with vinegar, or simply fried. Those times, I barely had a liking to any of those dishes.

My vacation to Leyte changed my heart about hito.   At first, upon seeing the dish on the dining table, I was a bit hesitant to try it.  I learned from my host family that it is one of their favorites.  Almost all of them were painting a happy face every time they get a serving of the dish.  And when I tried it myself, it felt like heaven.  I could not believe that hito can taste that great.

Hito was meticulously cleaned by removing its scales and rubbing salt into its body, inside and out, in order to get rid of its slime and unwanted odor.  It is cook over charcoal, enough to get roasted and its meat still juicy.  Afterwards, it is cook again with fresh coconut milk and some spices. 

No comments:

Post a Comment