Sunday, June 2, 2013

Food Trip 124 - Monggong Siopao

For non-meat siopao lovers, monggong siopao is definitely a good alternative.  But I have not heard about it until my recent trip to Leyte.

The common siopao fillings are asado and bola-bola.  I could not believe that there’s a monggong siopao.  My only recollection of a monggo filling is with hopia.

The moment I opened the siopao bun, I was surprised to find out that the color of its filling is violet.  I thought it was another variety of beans and not monggo because of its color.  I was educated by the vendor that the monggo beans are grind to almost powdery in form.  It is then sweetened and given the color violet.  (I forgot to ask why violet and not any other colors.)  Anyway, its taste was just right.  I can’t help thinking that I was actually eating a monggo hopia instead of monggong siopao.

No comments:

Post a Comment