Saturday, June 22, 2013

Exploring Philippines 127 - Eastern Visayas (Post 5 - Agas-Agas Zipline)

When we passed the Agas-Agas bridge for the second time,  Ron hurriedly parked the car.  When we got out of the car, the personnel who were attending the ride were already on their way home.  When I approached them that I would like to have a ride, they readily agreed without opposition.  I was excited but my heartbeat was fast and my knees were uneasy.  All of a sudden, I wanted to back out even though I already paid for the ride.

The moment I stepped into the platform, for the second time, I had a full view of what lies ahead.  The other end of the zipline was barely visible.  The holding area on the far distance was just like a white dot.  The cable lines seem like to vanish after the bridge.  I was imagining a plunge into nothingness.  And I got scared.

Ron and his family were cheering and encouraging me as the suit was wrapped around my body.  I told the one who was preparing me for the ride as well as the other personnel that I requested to accompany me that I wanted to back out.  Suddenly, I was not so sure.  But they were just smiling at me.  The moment I was asked to be steady and the personnel lifted my body for my suit to be hooked on the cable, there was no turning back.  I just prepared myself for the ride of my life.  I jokingly told Ron that if ever I will die, he knows where to find my epitaph.  Later on, Ron told me that he got scared also because he was doubting the capacity of the thin cable line if ever it can support my body weight.  And he got more scared when I was released forcefully.

Anyway, the moment I got suspended, I tried to put up a brave face.  I would like to look good even in the picture but deep inside, my rapid heartbeat was like a deafening sound.  But despite of the fear, I brought with me my point-and-shoot camera thinking that I will have the chance to shoot a decent pic of me while battling my fear in mid air. Hehe

While waiting for me to fully hooked up, my companion personnel was already ready hanging freely with just a simple harness attached to his body.  He sat calmly on the iron railings, just like what he does each day when they test the safety of the ride.  The moment I was all set and ready, the other personnel radioed his colleagues on the other end.  The only thing I heard was “Line one, ready to fly” and I just felt my body being thrown, with all my weight, in mid-air.  According to Ron, after the radio call, the personnel pulled forcefully my body harness backwards and he thrusts me forward with all his might.  And he, too, felt afraid for me.

When I heard the personnel that I was about to fly, I just closed my eyes and hold firmly to my camera and to the lining of my body harness.  The moment I felt I was being thrown, with my eyes closed, I held my breath for a couple of seconds.  The moment was like a total darkness, just feeling my body tossed in mid-air and waiting to fall anytime.  The rush of the wind against my face was cold and refreshing yet I felt like perspiring.  And my ever present fear made me feel that I could die anytime soon.  Haha. Silly thoughts.

After a couple of seconds of darkness and hearing my own heartbeat, I opened my eyes and I was drawing near the bridge.  I immediately turned on my camera and took a picture of Ron’s father as he waived cheerfully for me.  Though a personnel accompanied me using the second line, I hardly noticed him.  As I cover the whole stretch of the line flying which lasted for 30 seconds or more, I only managed to take less than 10 shots before I reached the end of the ride.  And my experience was heavenly awesome. 

After landing safely at the end of the line, I still could not believe that I was able to make it.  Yes!  I conquered the Agas-Agas zipline ride.  My heart was still beating fast, not because of the fear but because of the rush.  I felt proud because never in my entire existence I thought of a ride like this one.  I have my share of acrophobia but this time around, I simply let go of myself and face my biggest fear.  That time, I felt like winning a game and I felt like I was the happiest person in the world.  And, yes, I’ll try this same ride again if ever I’ll be back in Leyte.

The moment I was reunited with Ron and his family, I was like a kid jumping up and down with my little accomplishment.  Haha.  The feeling was beyond words and my high emotions that time conveyed my jubilation.  They, too, were all smiles for me.  They were ecstatic about my experience and they said that the zipline ride was the height of my Leyte escapade.

During the course of our one day road trip, from Palo, Eastern Leyte to Maasin, Southern Leyte, we’ve covered almost 380 kilometers.  What I appreciate most about the whole trip is the beauty of Leyte.  The route that we took from Palo to Maasin is something worthwhile and every Leyteno should be proud of.  The whole stretch of the road is either concrete or asphalted and in excellent condition which proved to be good for a road trip especially for those who would like to see the whole country side.  Actually, during the whole trip, it was like we were the only ones travelling and we only encounter a minimal volume of cars and trikes within the town proper of each municipality.  The greenery is the big asset of the place.  Most of the landscape is forested especially the mountainside.  The green landscape makes it a worthwhile reason to enjoy the ride where the breath of fresh air is always a welcome refreshing delight for a city dweller like me.  I hope that the forests and the trees that hover over the road which give protection to the people and the environment will be protected and maintained by Leytenos.

By nighttime, I was surprised and amazed to see the fog forming in the highway.  As we travel the highways of Leyte, it was my first time to actually see the thin fog in the highway.  Maybe because we were traveling fast that’s why we were able to experience that thing.  But the fact that there’s this kind of occurrence, it only shows that the place is still healthy and not polluted.  

No comments:

Post a Comment