Sunday, February 17, 2013

Food Trip 109 - Fish Intestines

Since my growing up years, I come to love and appreciate fish intestines.  Of course, not all fish intestines are edible.  I am referring to the intestines of big fishes.

The common big fishes in our locality are tuna and salmon.  Whenever they are sold, they are being cut into slices which also include their intestines.  At times, these intestines are being sold separately.  

All the time, we prefer fresh fishes and that include their intestines.  Since I know how to prepare a fish dish, I am also particular how the fish intestines should be prepared.  The intestines should be opened first and using the blade of a knife, the inner walls of the intestines should be scrapped meticulously.  And in order to get rid of its smell, rubbing a good amount of salt on the cleaned intestines walls will do the trick.

A fried fish intestine is as good as its flesh but it tends to shrink once it is cooked.  I would prefer a dish with soup and it could be a plain pangat, sinabawan, or to a more lavish sinigang. 

No comments:

Post a Comment