Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Moment 85 - Damselfly

Never in my wildest dream that I will experience a moment of awe with a damselfly.

I used to wonder before where do dragonflies and damselflies came from.  After watching the animal planet, I learned that they were actually laying their eggs in a body of water, such as ponds or rivers.  In their early days, they spend their entire time in the water until such time that their wings will develop.  And that's the right time when they have to leave the water and enjoy the life in the air.  The moment they are air borne, their remaining days are already numbered.  Though it looked like they are having fun in the air, gliding with the wind, they are actually in the lookout for their possible mate before their time will end.  

One day, I went with some colleagues for an out-of-town escapade.  We were to visit a nearby town and let them experience an unspoiled nature.  True enough. They were having fun all throughout the day.

During the course of our fun-filled activity that day, a damselfly was like hovering near me.  Actually, there were plenty of them in the river.  They were like kids who were chasing one another.  But that one particular thing was flying near me.  As I watched it, it tried to land on my hand for a couple of times. But since my hand was near my body, its attempts were not successful.  

I tried to keep still and watched it intently and it did not flew away from me.  When I raised my hand, I don't know for whatever reason there was, the damselfly simply landed on my thumb.  I could not believe it.  After it landed on my hand, I slowly moved my hand back and forth and yet it remained there for some time.  With several of us on that place, I was the lucky one who had this kind of experience.  And the feeling was just splendid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment