Saturday, August 25, 2012

Exploring Philippines 84 - Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro (Post 5 - Fire Dancers )

Before I went back to the resort, I had to fill my stomach first. I asked the driver about a good eatery within the area and he directed me to one of them. I was delighted because the food was good and I had a decent meal for 60 pesos only. After my early dinner, I went back to the resort and stayed on the beach enjoying the full view of the crowd. It was early evening and the place live to its name because it was alive and people gathered at the beach to enjoy. All the those establishments that are closed during daytime were now open and were flocked with guests. As I gazed on the shoreline, I happened to see all my colleagues gathered in an area along the shoreline and enjoying an early evening chat. They were actually looking for me since the time I left the place.


After our short bonding moment, they decided to go back to our room but I opted to stay.  Since I was informed earlier that a fire dance will commence soon, I waited for it. And true enough, after five minutes or so, the performers soon start to prepare.

I was thankful because I was at the right time and place. The moment the performers had their cue, the spectators easily gathered around at the beach ground forming a large circle. I was on the inner part of the circle and I had the full view of the show without any difficulty.

The two performers easily captured the audience. They dance to the tune of an upbeat tune and were graceful in their moves. Their routines and stunts made the audience exclaimed  in delight.  One can feel the intensity of the production and from time to time, spectators would clap their hands for a remarkable stunt and their accolades further boosts the performance of the fire dancers.

The performance was a spectacle for me and I was literally feasting with my camera. At first, I was struggling with my camera setting but eventually I learned how to capture a worthy sight of the performers.

When the routines of the two performers ended, it was now time for the audience to participate and have their pictures taken together with the fire dancers.  Some were excited while others were afraid to come near the performers because of the fire balls. Since I was inside the circle of spectators, at some point, I could feel the heat of the fire balls and most probably, some audience were not comfortable with the fiery things.

After a while, the crowd dispersed and hurried to the next set of performers on the other side of ground. There were actually three different sets of performers from three different bars. Each set of performers have their own sets of routines and stunts that would capture and excite the crowd. This form of entertainment is a nightly event that every visitor should not miss while in Puerto Galera.

































No comments:

Post a Comment