Sunday, August 5, 2012

Food Trip 81 - New Po-Heng Lumpia House

One time, we joined a group of photographers for half a day photo walk.  After we met our objectives, we joined the organizers for a lunch treat.

We simply followed blindly the organizers since they are well acquainted with the place and we were anticipating something new in the process.  They lead us to a lumpia house in Binondo.  They said that this place is famous for its fresh lumpia.

Since it was a week end, they only serve lumpia and mami.  I was hesitant to make a lumpia order because I am not fond of vegetables neither was I thinking about mami.  I crave for a rice meal that time.  But since the group opted to stay at that restaurant, I went for the much talk about lumpia.

I watched intently how the fresh lumpia is prepared and inquired about the stuff that comprised it.  After laying down the fresh lumpia wrapper on the counter, a combination of brown sugar, nuts, and dried sea weeds is evenly spread.  A piece of fresh lettuce and a big scoop of cooked mongo sprout and chopped carrots are added and then folded and wrapped afterwards.       

With the serving at hand, I was doubtful at the start if it would be enough to fill my hungry stomach and if ever I can digest it.  But I took it as a challenge and since the group I was with ordered the same stuff, there was no other option but to enjoy it.

When we opened the wrapped lumpia and spread it with the signature lumpia sauce of the restaurant, we were surprised to find out that the serving was more than enough for a modest lunch.  The fresh lumpia is already a good bargain for 50 pesos a piece.  And I was delighted that I was able to enjoy my food that day.








No comments:

Post a Comment