Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Moment 82 - Chicken Intestine Vendors

The food looked yummy and the smell was enticing.  I wanted to give it a try but something was holding me back.

There are so many vendors in almost every street corner in Manila.  Whenever there's a good number of crowd, eventually, some of them will buy something to eat.

I had a chance to talked with these vendors one time.  I learned that they are from another part of the city and was assigned to that place to sell fried chicken intestines.  I thought that at a young age, they are already entrepreneurs. But they are only earning a daily wage of 150 pesos from 9 in the morning until almost 9-10 in the evening.  The stuff that they are selling is being managed by someone else.  And they are just one of several carts selling the same stuff that are deployed in other busy streets within Manila.

They revealed that the chicken intestines are being delivered to them, already pricked in bamboo sticks, together with the breading, cooking oil, and the rest of their peripherals.  All they have to do is to coat the chicken intestines with the breading mix, fry, and sell them afterwards.  One stick of chicken intestine costs 5 pesos and in a good day, their total sales reaches as much as 3 thousand pesos.

I wanted to try this food but since it is a chicken intestine, I am not sure how it is being prepared.  Since the preparation involve volumes of chicken intestines, I wonder how they are actually cleaned and prepared.  Aside from this, the cooking oil I saw that time was already several days old and will only be replaced depending on the signal of the owner.  I ended up just watching other fellows enjoying their take on the food.


1 comment: