Sunday, June 17, 2012

Food Trip 74 - Ginisang Ginayat na Sariwang Mais

The first time I heard about ginisang ginayat na sariwang mais (sauteed shredded fresh maize) as a dish, I really got curious. I cannot figure out its taste. The only recollection of a dish that I used to prepare with maize are nilagang baka o baboy (boiled beef or pork with vegetables) and puchero.

I waited for the dish to be prepared and served. Since maize was freshly picked, it was able to retain its sweetness and distinct taste. The first time I tasted this dish, I was struggling of either liking it because of  the sweetness of maize or setting it aside because of the overpowering taste of maize over other ingredients.

I learned that the people who prepared this dish already grow the liking of this food. When maize is abundant, they substitute maize for monggo (beans) and the manner of preparing a ginisang monggo is the same as this one. Malunggay leaves or ampalaya leaves are added in order to normalize the sweetness of maize. And if the budget is not that tight, chicharong baboy, dilis, tinapa, crabs, or shrimps can further add a flavor to this dish.

No comments:

Post a Comment