Saturday, June 2, 2012

Exploring Philippines 72 - Marinduque (Post 7 - Moriones Festival)

After our quick trip to the towns of Gasan and Buenavista, we were back to the town of Boac after 2pm.  Right after our snack, I asked permission to venture into the town.  Since the house of Tin is only several blocks away from the plaza and the town of Boac is likewise peaceful, they allowed me to be on my own.  

I went straight to the plaza.  When I arrived there, it was already crowded with spectators patiently waiting for the program to start.  After several minutes, the program started.  There were two competing groups.  They were showcasing a charade of Morion choreographed drama as well as their well-rehearsed formations.  If you are new to this kind of thing, it is very hard to understand what those acts were all about.  Since there were no synopsis given prior or even after each performance, I was clueless about the presentations.

After the presentation at the plaza, I roam around the town.  My next agenda were the old houses.  I had a grand time taking pictures of the old structures and I was not worried about getting lost because the town was just small and besides, locals are very helpful whenever you ask for some directions.

My last stop would be at the Boac cathedral.  Even though I've visited this church yesterday, I still had this desire to frame it come day time.  And that time was the perfect opportunity for me to do my thing.

Right after my take at the Boac cathedral, by 4pm, I came across with another Morion parade again.  Lucky were those visitors who checked in within the town proper because they could easily watch the Morion parade.  But on the other hand, the rates were really that expensive because this is the only time of the year where the town of Boac experiences a huge influx of visitors.

Based on what we had watched that morning, they were still the same set of Morion participants who proudly paraded their Morion outfit.  That time around, there were less participants.  I guess the kids were already tired after their parade earlier that day.  I happened to see some Morions from the town of Buenavista which we saw early that morning.  They were at the town of Boac, joining the Morion parade because the reward money was enticing.










 




   


























No comments:

Post a Comment