Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Moment 63 - Jhong

I was inside a grocery store last Monday when I received a text message. It was not a registered number in my phone and I simply opened it without much curiosity. The first two words of the message immediately caught my attention and my hunch was right. An old best friend and a family member is finally back after almost seven years of absence.

If my memory serves me right, it was in 1995 when we first met and just like my other close and trusted friends, we had no idea that our friendship will flourish and reach this far. We've been witnesses of each others life's ups and downs, we show and give support to the best way we can, we value the kind of relationship we have with much respect and admiration, and we treat each other as part of our own respective families. I can rightfully claim that the bond we had established years ago is purely based on trust and respect and we have been transparent in sharing our respective lives until the present day.

Since he worked abroad, we seldom had a communication over the net. I know that he was trying his best to reach to us, his family and friends, whenever he had the opportunity. I only happened to know today that he had been struggling on his own for quite some time and it was not an easy struggle since he had no one to turn to on a foreign land. But all those struggles and troubles were over now and he is now triumphant in his own little way.

When I finally saw my friend crossing the street, it was like seeing him several years ago. The last time I saw him was in 2004 when he bid goodbye because he will be working abroad. And now, after seven long years of separation, he seems not aging. He is still the same person I happened to know way back then - full of life, always smiling, has a good sense of humor, and a great companion. As we make up for the lost time, I noticed that he shares his thoughts with much depth and maturity. And up to now, his fear and love of the Lord is unwavering. 

Anyway, the three of us - my cousin, him, and me, went out for a get together dinner. Since he is already part of our family, our dinner date that night was just like those moments when we were sharing simple or extravagant meals when he was still here in the Philippines years ago. Although we seldom go out and dine outside during those times, we always had so much fun sharing a good home cooked meal. And just like the good old days, we were simply ourselves as we enjoyed a hearty dinner.

How time flies when you are actually having fun and trying to make up for the lost time. It was a grand day for the three of us and we know that we can't enjoy this one repeatedly just like the times when we used to because he will be leaving again soon. Though how short the moment was, it was good to know that our good friend and brother, Jhong, remember and treasure us like his real siblings.

And most probably, with heaven's blessings, we will be seeing each other again a year from now. Good luck, my friend, and be well always. Thank you for the time and rest assured that you'll always have a family to come home to.


No comments:

Post a Comment