Sunday, March 25, 2012

Food Trip 62 - Bamboo Shoot

Have you ever tasted a bamboo? What are you, a panda? Hehe

I grew up in a province and bamboos are plenty. During the season of bamboo shoots, almost every family within our vicinity practically looks forward to a bamboo shoot dish at least once a week. But during my younger years, I don't had any liking of this dish.

When I transferred to the city where food was somewhat different from where I came from, I practically developed this liking over red meat and some select vegetables, mostly legumes. But one particular experimental and eye-opening day, when my cousin prepared a bamboo shoot dish, I said to myself that I will give it a try. And I liked it! It was amazing.

For so many years, I've been ignoring the bamboo shoot dish with a mindset that I will never like its taste. But once I tasted it, I told myself that I've wasted several years of my life for not liking this food. For this reason, whenever I go home to the province, my vacation will never be complete without this dish.

The newly picked bamboo shoot is sliced into the thinnest possible pieces, washed for two occasions in order to get rid of its bitter taste, cooked in fresh coconut milk with abundant saluyot leaves and if possible, with crabs and shrimps or grilled fish meat. When serve hot, it feels like heaven especially when sweat starts to appear in my face.

No comments:

Post a Comment