Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Moment 143 - Jellyfish

Summertime is always the best time to go swimming.

Beaches in the Philippines are being flocked by tourists, both local and foreign.  We always boast that the beaches in the country are one of the best in the world and there is always a room for everyone to enjoy their day in the sun.

But along with a sunny and cloudless sky and the promise of a good swim, the swarm of jellyfish could spoil a good and exciting beach holiday.  We've been hearing and seeing news about people getting into trouble with the poisonous type of jellyfish.  A skin irritation could easily be addressed by applying vinegar to the affected areas but some could lead to severe complications and may even result to death. 

I am not totally alien to jellyfish. During summertime and spending a day in a beach, I always manage to catch a glimpse of these creatures.  But I never imagined seeing a swarm of them - inside a plastic cup.  Hehe.

One time, while I was spending a holiday in a beach, I got intrigued by some local kids who were joyfully scooping something out of the water.  The moment I approached them, they proudly showed me several plastic cups full of jellyfish.  I asked the kids if they were not afraid of their poison and they answered in unison that the box type jellyfish is harmless.

No comments:

Post a Comment