Saturday, October 19, 2013

Exploring Philippines 144 - Palawan (Post 11 - Taytay and Puerto Princesa)

Very early in the morning during my last day, the whole family was busy.  I joined them while they were busy preparing their harvest.  They were about to transport the live lobsters and sell them to a dealer in Puerto Princesa.  They harvested almost all the lobsters in their cages.  Only the small ones were retained.

For the first time, I happened to witness the lobsters being put to sleep.  First, a lobster is put to sleep by placing that one in a pail full of ice.  They said that the cold temperature would make that lobster sleep or hibernate.  Once the lobster was no longer moving, they wrapped it with a couple of sheets of newspaper and carefully tucked in a styro box.  Once the styro box is full, they will secure the box by placing enough masking tape in order to preserve the coldness of the box.  And after they were done packing, we had to hurry and leave right away because their merchandise is fragile and I had a plane to catch.

It was a long drive towards the town of Puerto Princesa.  It took us almost 6 hours before reaching the dealer’s place in Puerto Princesa.  The return of their merchadise was quite hefty but there were several large lobsters that were no longer healthy.  Upon arriving at their house in Puerto Princesa, the lobsters that were not sold were cooked and they gave me a couple of them as my ‘pabaon.’

They dropped me at the airport two hours earlier my flight schedule.  After they left and after checking in my luggage, I decided to explore the town of Puerto Princesa.  I knew I still have some places to visit.  Since it is just a small town, my last adventure would only be quick.

From the airport, I rode a tricycle and I head directly to the Immaculate Conception church.  After whispering my short prayer, I visited the plaza in front of the church in order to get a better perspective of the church.  On the side of the plaza, lies Plaza Cuartel where several Americal soldiers were burned to death by the Japanese soldiers during the second world war.  And since it was almost dark, I decided to return to the airport and patiently waited for my ride home.

To the family of Eric, once again, my heartfelt thanks for a wonderful memory and experience of Palawan.












Morning Scene at Paly










Puerto Princesa 





No comments:

Post a Comment