Sunday, July 21, 2013

Food Trip 131 - Lebron James' Buko Pie


It is a common scene for travelers in the countryside where vendors would normally sell their stuff inside the bus.  You may expect that the common items are mostly drinks and food.  Long hours of travel will definitely make one hungry and thirsty.  For this reason, stopovers are being flocked by vendors who will race one another to climb the bus and sell their stuff.

We were on our way to Laguna and as usual, hardworking locals get into the bus in one of the bus stopovers.  Laguna, Batangas and Cavite areas are noted for their buko pies.  Through time and experience, however, there are favorite brands to look forward to when buying buko pies.  And there are also not so-good buko pies to watch out for. 

When the vendor entered the bus, I let pass the idea of having a buko pie for merienda.  I don’t really have that craving for buko pies that time.  As he moved through and fro inside the bus, the passenger seated near me gave in.  He bought a couple of individually wrapped palm sized buko pies and immediately ate it.  The comment from this fellow passenger was encouraging because its taste was recommendable.  After a few more minutes, I opted to give it a try.

When I saw the cover of the box, I was amused right away.  I never imagined the basketball superstar Lebron James as an endorser or proprietor of buko pie business under his own very name.  And true enough, the stuff is good.  Ample amount of soft buko strips are contained in each piece and the taste is something to admire.  And I promise myself that I will never miss this one every time I will pass this part of Laguna. 


No comments:

Post a Comment