Monday, January 7, 2013

Random Thought 104 - Silence

Silence is not the absence of sound.  It is the presence of what sound cannot express.

Sometimes, even with the presence of a loved one, being silent cannot be avoided.  It does not necessary follow that one runs out of words.  But being silent opens an opportunity to better hear one's partner.

In my own perspective, though I can freely express my opinions and feelings, I don't speak much.  At times, I find it hard to sustain a conversation.  And if I am with somebody who does not talk much either, a deafening silence can be expected from time to time.

For me, engaging in a conversation all throughout the day almost every day is tiring.  There are some people who love to talk and talk and they are good at it.  And I must say that I am out of their league.  

One time, someone somehow got irritated at me because I was contented with just holding her hand while being seated beside her and watching the waves kissed the shore.  She wanted to talk about so many things  and I just gave her a piece of my mind from time to time.  She thought I was not interested.  But for me, it was one such romantic moment.  

The moment we were seated together and with her hand in mine, it was not that I was lost in words, but I was trying to hear her heart and soul. For me, even without engaging in conversation, there were so many words I was hearing and they were all beautiful and promising.  My silence does not follow that I was not interested nor detaching from her.  My silence was hearing her more.

No comments:

Post a Comment