Saturday, January 5, 2013

Exploring Philippines 103 - Baguio City (Post 1)


The last time I visited Baguio was in March 2009. It was the time when my friends and I had a common free time for a getaway.

We took the last trip of Victory bus at around 11pm and reached the city of Baguio by 5am.  Even though it was already summer, the temperature that early morning was cold and was evident because of the smoke that appears every time we speak.  We then hired a cab towards the place where we will be staying for a couple of days, the lower Pinget.

It was still dark when we arrived to the place where we will be staying.  A relative of Jay who had a place in the area would be accommodating us for the duration of our stay here in Baguio.  The moment we reached the place, we stayed on the empty intersection of the street and admired the lighted mountains of Baguio. 

By daybreak, we accompanied the cousin of Jay to the public market.  I had a couple of orientation of the Baguio public market before and this time around was another opportunity to refresh my memory.  The Baguio public market is noted for its fresh produce at a cheaper price.  Of course ukay-ukay tops the list of those people who look forward to a good bargain in Baguio.  As we roam around the market, I was surprised to see stalls selling goat meat.  I don’t have any idea until now that there is a strong demand of goat meat in this part of the country.  Honestly speaking, I have not yet tried eating a goat meat though I had several opportunities from the past to try it.  Maybe, what made me avoid it were the remarks of some people who had tried it and dislike it afterwards.  But I am still looking forward to give it a try one of these days.

Our menu that day was pork sinigang.  We had to eat our food right away and a bit faster than usual because the food easily gets cold.  Lower Pinget is located in the outskirt of Baguio city and the temperature here even in midday is cold.  I never expected that even by late March, it will still be that cold.

After our brunch, we began our city tour.  Our first destination was the botanical garden.  We skipped taking pictures at the entrance of the park because some locals in their native costumes were quite importunate and would demand some amount afterwards.











No comments:

Post a Comment