Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Moment 104 - Canadian Volunteer Teachers

During my recent trip to Bugtong Bato Falls, I happened to get to know some Canadian volunteer teachers and their family.

The moment I arrived at the site, there was one lady who was busy taking pictures.  After I took several shots, I came over to her and started a conversation.  She was with her family and her fellow Canadians.  They reside in Boracay for seven months and they had a nine day vacation period.  They were able to learn about the falls and the whole place as well through some blogs. 

I forgot their names (my problem most of the time, hehe) but I learned several things from them.  They came all the way from Canada and they brought along their entire family.  They are currently staying in Boracay as volunteer teachers for free and the indigent kids on the island who are not privilege to attend a formal schooling are under care.  I also learned that they are spending their savings for the whole duration of their stay in the country and that their own kids are in a home study program and they are the ones who are teaching their kids.  They said that their whole family benefited from the home study program of their government because they are able to bring their kids in trips like these which the kids also love.  And most probably, sometime in March or April of 2013, they are going back to Canada again, earn their living, and return to the Philippines afterwards.

They are extremely grateful about their whole stay in the country because according to them, Filipinos are always willing to lend a hand.  Though they mentioned that in Boracay, they have some language barrier problem because most of the locals cannot converse with them in English.  But in some other places they'd visited, there's always someone whom they can communicate with ease.

I hope I'll be able to visit Bora this year and visit their school before they return to Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment