Saturday, December 8, 2012

Exploring Philippines 99 - Taal Volcano (Post 2 - Towards the Crater)

At first, our individual guides walked along with us as they keep the horses on the right trail.  The moment we reached an upward slope, each of our guide hopped to their own manned horse, positioned themselves behind us, and made the horse galloped.  Since the path was dry, the cloud of dust filled the air as our horses raced toward the even ground.

The moment we reached the open ground, we almost had a full view of the volcano island.  I pointed towards the direction where the crater of the mountain is visible along the Tagaytay area thinking all along that we were going to that part.  My guide told me that there was nothing to see on that part of the island and we were heading towards the top of the mountain where we can see in full view the crater Taal volcano.

From a distance, the cottages on the top of the mountain were visible.  Seeing the cottages was like having a hope that sooner we will be able to reach the spot.  But judging from where we were, we still need some time because of the rate we were going.  Actually, I was the one who was left behind because I took some time out taking pictures.  The moment I saw my group ascending to the mountain, I was quick in saying to my guide that we had to hurry because we were already far behind.

After some time, I saw a thin white smoke on the path that we were about to pass.  My guide told me that it is an open vent and since Taal volcano is an active volcano, some parts of the island have holes where the smoke pass through.  On that note, I was thinking what if the volcano will suddenly erupt?  All of us will be helpless considering the impossibility of escape since we were at the island.  Well, this is part of our adventure and we have to take some risks to earn some rewards in the process.

After passing that vent, several steps after is a rugged and tricky part of the mountain.  If I am not mistaken, the trail was part of molten lava and through time, became a part of the mountain.  The narrow trail is enough for a person or a horse to pass along.  The sharp edges of the trail may bruise or cut a flesh.  Or worst, the knee deep trail may result to some injuries if one will get tripped. 

As we progress upwards the mountain, the one way path gets deeper.  Since I am claustrophobic, I had some discomforts while passing the channel.  While moving upwards, my guide told me to lean forward so that I will not fall and for the horse to mobilize faster.  And after a turn on that channel, we reached the holding area for the horses.

After getting off from the horse, I hurriedly find my way towards my waiting group.  I need some catching up because they were having some fun moments already.  The moment I joined them, right before my very eyes, I felt proud seeing firsthand the smallest active volcano in the world.  The almost 30-minute of a struggling horse ride was finally rewarded with this marvelous sight.





















No comments:

Post a Comment