Saturday, December 10, 2011

Exploring Philippines 47 - Coron, Palawan (Post 3 - Twin Lagoon)

When we leave the lambingan bridge, I thought we will simply go around the main island of Coron. We were actually going into the scattered islands and the first one was the one we saw early this morning the moment the ship docked into the port of Coron.

From a distance, my first impression was it was just a regular island. But the moment we were near, the limestone walls of the island greeted us. I have to admit that I was awed by the sight of the limestone mountain. And where ever I gaze, the whole place is made up of limestone. It could be tough for the plants and trees growing within the cracks of limestone just like the Tagbanuas' who live here.

The island has many secrets and only a few of them are exposed to visiting tourists - the ones that are easily accessible. As we were nearing the island, we passed through a quiet channel and after some time, the waves were just  small curls on the surface of the water. It took us over 20 minutes to reach this place and a cathedral of limestone greeted us.

It was almost 10:30 in the morning when we reached the Twin Lagoon. There were several boats docked on the side of the cathedral which means we were already late. We've seen some visitors enjoying the swim and kayaking. But with the number of boats around, I wonder where were the rest of them went?

The moment our boat docked finally, we were directed to jump into the water. Geez, even in this secluded area, the color of the water is blue. If it is a bit green it could be shallow and blue suggests that it is way much deeper. Even if I was thrilled of the place, the blue water holds me back to the boat. I don't know how to swim and even with my life vest on, I still had some reservations. Eventually, only a few of my colleagues opted to stay aboard for they were just like me, ever afraid of the water.

The water was cold when it touched my skin for the first time but it could be now or never. Even if my heart was beating rapidly that time, I had to overcome my fear and experience what others were enjoying that time. I tried to tell myself that I will still stay afloat as long as I had my life vest on. Thus, I followed the group swimming towards a small opening within the cathedral.

Aside from acrophobia, I am claustrophobic also. I am not comfortable with enclosed and narrow spaces. With the small opening beneath the cathedral, I wonder if I will ever pass through this channel without panicking. And with a snail's pace, letting my mind to think other things rather than entertaining my fears, I bravely made my way out of the tunnel. Since my camera is not waterproof, I was not able to take pictures of this little brave adventure of mine.

As I follow the rest of the group swimming towards the other side of the channel, another lagoon came into a full view. The other lagoon is hidden on the other side of the mountain. I'd been told that it's either you swim through the small channel which I did or climb within the limestone walls, like what the natives are doing, in order to reach the second lagoon. And out here in the open, while taking my sweet time floating, indeed it is one hidden paradise worthy to be experienced by a brave a soul and nature lover. I was glad that I did not gave in to my fear.

The second lagoon is bigger than the first one and the walls of the limestone cathedral are much taller. The water in the second lagoon is somewhat still and it is a perfect sanctuary for the fishes which swim along with us.

But there is a catch to our exciting journey to the second lagoon. The small opening underneath the walls of the limestone is open only for a particular period of time. During high tide, that opening will be filled with sea water and one has to swim under the water to pass through it. I was relieved that time was on our side that morning.

more pics







No comments:

Post a Comment