Saturday, July 30, 2011

Exploring Philippines 28 - Zambales (Post 8 - Subic Tree Top Adventure)

Since I don't have enough courage to experience the tree drop, I settled for a canopy ride. It was good that Neil and Regine accompanied me because the rest of the group went to experience the more thrilling rides. 

Others consider the canopy ride as less thrilling because it lacks the adrenalin rush. And if you are afraid of heights, it is more of a torture than fun. It is  a kind of "killing me softly" adventure. On my end, it was like conditioning myself first prior to engaging into a more exciting one.

After putting on the safety gears, we fall in line immediately. Since there were only few people ahead of us, we only waited for a couple of minutes and it was game time.

The moment I stepped into the platform and looked below, I felt the rapid beating of my heart right away. If you are afraid of heights, a good 60 to 70 feet above the ground will be a total scare on your end and that was how I felt that very moment. 

As I made my way towards the suspended ride, I felt like turning around and relieve myself. The pressure was there and the scare was real. But since the fee was no longer refundable and I'll definitely lose my face if ever I'll back out, I said to myself I had to survive this one.  I've tried several thrilling rides like this one before and I was able to survive them. This one was no different from the rest and since there was no backing out, I had to make the most of it and enjoy. But my fear was like a good host, ever present and embracing me each time I'll try an exciting adventure.

Once we were safely seated, the operator said that he will press the button at the count of three. When he said three, off we go. Funny. Hehe

The ride was slow but my heartbeat was fast. What I did was to divert my attention in order for my fear to abandon me. As usual, I brought my camera and I took lots of pictures along the ride. From time to time, I handed over the cam to Neil or Regine so that I will have some souvenir pics also.

After some time of being suspended, I was totally relaxed and began to enjoy the whole ride. As we pass from one station to another, from one tree to another, we were able to examine almost the entire area where the tree top adventure is located. The tall and broad trees have been around for more than 100 years and it only shows that when we take good care of them, they will reward us something in return.

There are 3 motorized stations and each station has an assigned operator. As long as there is no power interruption, the whole ride is smooth. The only problem is when you are in the middle of the ride, between two stations and the power goes off, you'll be left hanging for some time. I just don't know if they have any means of pulling you towards the nearest station.

Anyway, after spending some time being suspended, I learned to appreciate the canopy ride. Maybe, it is simply getting used to the situation and when I am relaxed already, the real fun starts. If given an opportunity,  I will grab a seat of  getting suspended that high from time to time and enjoy the view from up above. In this way, I can arrest my fear and shout to the world that I learned to conquer it.

After successfully completing the 3 stations, we had to take a hanging bridge. Though the hanging bridge here is not really high above the ground, it was still an experience to enjoy. It has been my dream to experience a hanging bridge where it is suspended very high above the ground and the wind is blowing strong. Will I ever have enough guts to conquer it especially if a strong wind makes it sway from side to side? Hmmm. That will be another adventure to look forward to.

The whole trip lasted under 40 minutes and at last, it was touched down. Though there was no adrenalin rush on this activity, I was proud to conquer this one. Since I know my limits, I have to try first the easy one. I don't want my experience to be traumatic by jumping right away into the extremes. If I think I am still capable of engaging into other challenging activities, then I'll definitely go for a level up.


more pics.














No comments:

Post a Comment