Saturday, July 23, 2011

Exploring Philippines 27 - Zambales (Post 7 - Subic Tree Top Adventure)

After our first day trip at Pundaquit, we spent our next day at Subic Tree Top Adventure.  I had already an idea about the place but since I have not yet visited the site, all I could do was to imagine. But the adventure will definitely challenge my phobia - the fear of heights. I am not afraid of people taller than me. Hehe. I am simply fearful about my elevated distance from the ground. 

When you suffer from acrophobia, you don't usually enjoy an outdoor activity that requires some distance above a particular level. It requires much effort and courage on your end to rise to the challenge, trying to conquer your worst fear. It is hard to combat your own psychological issues. Aside from being uneasy and fearful, your legs are shaking uncontrollably, you want to relive yourself every now and then, your stomach is constantly turning over, your body is perspiring heavily, you feel the chilling effect, you are turning pale, and the worst thing is any moment you'll simply run out of air and fall to the ground. 

When we got there and saw the whole place, I told myself "this is it." Whatever happens, I'll try not to faint or I'll just watch the group enjoy the day. Hehe

Before experiencing the thrill of the place, visitors are required to attend a short orientation. The orientation covers all activities, from a slow-paced to a death defying one, so that visitors will be aware what to expect and select what activities they will enjoy the most. For each activity or set of activities, a tag price goes along with it. And for thrill seekers, no amount of money can ever prevent them from enjoying this one.

One superb thrilling activity that will definitely test your spirit is the tree drop. You will be directed towards a platform on a tree with the height of 70 feet from the ground. From here, you have two options - either you'll rappel your way down or go for a sudden drop - the mission impossible style. 

Actually, it is fun to watch people enjoying their free fall. It seemed like they were effortless about their stunt and you can feel their pride after conquering this one. But even if I'll be offered for a free ride, nyay, it would be a different story. I'll definitely pass for this one or I might pass out. Hehe

Amongst us, I can hardly imagine Neil to rise to the challenge. Actually, without hesitation, he bravely gave it a try. He was the only member of the group who had the guts to experience this thrill. We had no idea if he was nervous that time because he was all smile from top to ground. 










And in less than 5 seconds, he successfully made his drop. Whew! That was a tough one.

With Neil's experience, I asked myself "What if I'll give it a try?" During the course of the drop, what particular things I might be thinking of? Will I close my eyes during the drop and think of nothing until it is finished? And when my feet touch the ground, is it okay for me to collapse after my senses come back to me? Haha. Chicken!









This kind of challenge is not for the person who has a faint heart. But this is definitely a delight for an adventurous type. If you value your friendship, you'll not push your friend to experience this especially if he is acrophobic. Hehe. But if circumstances cannot be avoided, just embrace your fear, scream if you must, and experience the fall. Anyway, it will only last under 5 seconds.






Honestly, I can't imagine myself to try this one. It will be a total devastation on my end. Just the thought of the drop gives my body a chill and my stomach rumbling. I don't know if I'll ever give it a try. I'll try to find one that I can handle without fainting. Hehe

Well, that's life. We can't be good in everything. We have our own set of limitations. I'm taking my sweet time and there's no rush for me to try things that are out of my league. 

Want to give it a try?

No comments:

Post a Comment