Monday, April 11, 2011

Random Thought 13 - Taboo

I remember when my mother was hospitalized several years back. It was one tough time for all of us. It was a time when we hold unto each other’s spirit, praying and hoping that everything will turn out right. And the Lord is simply gracious.

During her stay at the hospital, I brought her a bouquet of flowers which I bought from Dangwa. Her side of bed looked lively that time and it brought some kind of life in the room. Little did we knew, it was taboo for her.

She wanted to get rid of the flowers and even told me to offer that one to the church. I have to admit that it was not our habit to offer flowers way back in the province and this was the very first time that I offered her some flowers.  It was spooky on her part. Her understanding of the flowers in a bouquet are only meant for dead ones.

I simply told her that it was meant as a “get well soon” gesture on my end. And besides, I prefer to give her flowers while she is still alive. And the bouquet stayed in the hospital until we brought her home.

No comments:

Post a Comment