Saturday, March 19, 2011

Exploring Philippines 9 - Molo Church, Iloilo

 After my brief exploration of the Jaro cathedral, I hailed a cab towards Molo. It was already 2pm when I arrived there. I knew I had to maximize my time because I might be enjoying my little adventure and lost track of time. And in case nightfall will caught me, definitely, I will not be able to have a ride towards home.

From the plaza, the view of Molo church is always inviting. Just like the Jaro cathedral, I always pass this way but never had a single opportunity to visit it closely because of time constraint. But this time around, I purposely dedicate my time to visit this church.

The moment I approached the main entrance of the church, I was disappointed right away because it was closed. I was hoping and praying that I could at least set foot on this church. But it seemed that it was not a timely visit.

I went to the side entrance of the church hoping that I would be able to sneak inside the church. Unluckily, all side entrances were all closed. With the situation at hand, I asked around for a possibility to gain an entry. I was thankful because I happened to asked the right person. He was the guard on duty.

During this time of day, the doors of the church are closed and I was extra grateful because he allowed me gain entry.  I believe that whenever your intentions are pure, people will not find it hard to believe you. I simply introduced myself and told him about my desire to frame the church. And he simply showed me the way.

Except for the cleaner inside the church, I had the whole place by myself. I took full liberty in examining its interiors, the 16 statuettes of the lady saints that hang on every pillar within the isle, its magnificient altar decorated by century old paints, those wooden altars that house other saints which date back to the Spanish time, and stepping into the very floor tiles where Dr. Jose Rizal once stepped in during his visit here during the late 1800's.

Once all the doors of this church were closed, I experienced a total silence from the outside world. Its thick walls and wooden doors shielded the place against the commotion outside. If one is seeking solace, definitely, this church would be of big help. But I must admit that I was taken aback by the markings on the floors. It was a practice before to bury the bones of prominent people inside the church and Molo church is one of them. And since I was inside the church, fear did not embrace me that time.

In the span of 30 minutes, I was practically happy with what I came for, and the joy of experiencing what it was like more than a century ago will be forever etched in my memory.


pics of 16 lady saints
















 more pics of Molo church







No comments:

Post a Comment