Saturday, March 5, 2011

Exploring Philippines 7 - Guimaras Province (Post 7 - Lawi Marine Turtle Rescue Center)

After SEAFDEC, we traced our route back to our origin because our next destination would be on the opposite side of the island. As we passed on the same channel, I already prepared myself for another turbulent ride but luckily this time, it was a smooth one. The sea seemed friendly and I was more delighted than ever.

Because of the calm sea, we picked up speed and it only took us 30 minutes to reach the Lawi Marine Turtle Rescue Center at Barangay Lawi in Jordan. This center is accredited by the local government where rescued marine turtles are nurtured and protected. Each visitor is required to make a donation of 10 pesos or you can donate more. Donations are used to maintain the place and for the well being of the turtles.

My visit to this rescue center had another series of first hand experiences. It was my first time to see and hold flat puffer fishes. Since they are flat, they seldom move once out of the water. The locals here claimed that the meat of grilled puffer fish tastes good. They catch the puffer fish that comes near the cages and place them inside the cage together with the marine turtle. Hmmm. I've been thinking about the right time to come here and join them when they'll have their puffer fish feast or maybe I could simply asked them. Hehe

My first time to see a sea turtle out in the open was during my trip to Palawan last year when we went to visit the underground river. Though it was just a glance, I was glad nevertheless. Since then, I am looking forward to seeing and holding one. 
At Lawi Marine Turtle Rescue Center, there are several sea turtles placed in cages. The latest addition was hit by the propeller of a motor boat. Since the people here at the province had been properly informed and educated about the endangered sea turtles, they automatically deliver any  captured sea turtle to the rescue center. Even though its shell got chipped, its flesh was not mutated and it got a new leash of life.

The biggest of them all weighs more than 50 kilos. This one has been with the center for a couple of months and it is somewhat struggling to survive. Its biggest problem is getting the food into its mouth. Its mouth had been damaged and it cannot, in any manner, eat. 

It was good that we came at the right time when they feed the turtles here. The teens who are tasked to do the feeding has to literally force feed that particular turtle. It is such a painstaking job for both the guys and the turtle alike to observe this routine everyday.  The name of the game is survival and the people here at the center are doing all their best to save the rescued turtles. And I guess, if I am in the position of that turtle, I'll get used to the feeding process just to stay alive.

And before we left that morning, my request to actually hold a live sea turtle had been granted. They had to take out a smaller one that weighs around 20 kilos. They placed it first in a hammock because if they placed it in the bamboo floor, its legs will be damaged once it will start to struggle. It looked like effortless on their side to carry and hold the turtle but when it was my time to hold it, it was a bit heavy. I was extra thankful, likewise, because they allowed me to take my sweet time with the turtle. With the heavy influx of visitors to their place, visitors are normally given a maximum of 5 minutes to mingle with the turtle in order for the turtle not to get stressed. But since I was the only visitor of the center that morning, they did not mind at all the length of time I spent with the turtle.

After nearly 30 minutes of stay at the center, I had to leave. Though I would like to linger a bit longer, I have other itineraries in mind and I might not be able to catch my ride home on time.

At the Raymen beach resort, the water was calm and there was no one swimming. It was 10 in the morning already and at that particular time, only few visitors were staying at the resort. And since it was nearly noon, visitors are normally afraid to stay out in the sun. That's why only the local folks were spending a lazy morning along the shores.  Though I wanted to take a dip, it would be an excess baggage on my part to carry along some wet clothing. So I spend the rest of my time taking some pictures of the place.

It was 11 in the morning when I checked out and rushed to Jordan port. I was thinking that if time permits, I'll go around the city of Iloilo first before going home.

more pics at Lawi Marine Turtle Rescue Center










No comments:

Post a Comment