Saturday, March 12, 2011

Exploring Philippines 8 - Jaro Cathedral, Iloilo

Though there are some beaches to explore and plenty of time left to spend at Guimaras, I had already my share of fun and adventure that morning. Honestly, I was happy about my adventures that day because it was my very first time to explore all by my lonesome. I am not used to explore alone but that time, out of curiosity and some challenge, I bravely venture into the province of Guimaras. And I was thankful that my experience there was full of fun and rewarding.

It was already one in the afternoon when we reached the Ortiz port in Iloilo and I headed directly to the Jaro cathedral.  I oftentimes passed that landmark when I head home from airport to the bus terminal but I never had the chance to take some pictures of this historical landmark, not until this time.

It was still high noon and the place was not crowded when I arrived there. Since it was not a bustling place, it gave me a good opportunity to move around with no difficulties at all.  The original landmark of the Jaro cathedral that was built way back in 1874 is a silent witness of more than a century of the history of Iloilo.  It is good that the remaining belfry of the original cathedral has been preserved overtime. And to a stranger like me, it is always a delight to see a cultural heritage of this country that stands still over the tests of times.
The new Jaro cathedral had been built adjacent to the original belfry. The cathedral has lost its touch of what the original one looked like. Some face lifts of the structure makes it odd, a combination of the old and the new look. And in my honest observation, some parts of the structure did not jive well with the rest of the structure.

I was hoping that the cathedral was open but it was  only partially open. Metal grills deter the visitors in going to the altar and they are only allowed to stay and recite their prayers on the entrance of the cathedral. I noticed that the cathedral, though partially open, never runs out of visitors. This only proves that we, Filipinos, are continuously enriching our spiritual devotion with our Creator.

Since my space was only limited to a portion of the cathedral, I simply grabbed the opportunity of being there and made the most of what I could capture. It could had been a perfect moment to fully examine and frame the altar together with its inner structure but my limited encounter was all I've got.

Despite of the inadequacies, I was still thankful because my wish had been granted. Finally, I was able to find time to drop by at this cathedral in its quiet moment where I can do the thing I love the most.

After reciting a short prayer, I hailed a cab towards Molo. My next agenda would be framing the famous Molo church.before going home that time.


more pics of Jaro Cathedral



No comments:

Post a Comment