Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Moment 5 - Bingo

 Part of the engineering week celebration this year is the fund raising activity of the engineering student council.  A bingo social is a common means of raising funds and almost every one knows how to play it. So, it is really not that difficult to invite players especially with hefty prizes. Aside from shirts and boxes of donuts, 500 to 1000 pesos are at stake likewise as consolation prizes. And the good news is, four 5000 pesos for the first 4 games and for black out, they are giving away 10000 pesos. 

I like how the ESC prepared for this game. They make use of large boxes to display the letters and numbers that will be drawn. Since we have a limited space in the building's quadrangle and with almost 3000 bingo cards sold, more spaces will be needed to accommodate all players. The second and third levels of the building give an extra space for the rest of the excited players including me. And from our vantage point on the third level, we can directly see with no amount of difficulty all those drawn numbers.

Honestly, I almost failed to join the game. I did not buy my bingo cards earlier. I happened to know some students who are selling bingo cards but I choose to wait for that one particular student to deliver the bingo cards to our room. And when she arrived, I choose four cards hoping that they will be my lucky cards.

Frankly speaking, we join a game because of the prizes especially if the prizes are impressive. And the other thing would be to experience the joy of it. At times, it is the suspense and the drama that makes a good and exciting game. 

Some of my former students discouraged me from playing the game because of the probability of winning. But I usually believe that if it is for you, then it will be yours. And the game started.

The first two games were a bit close but there were destined winners. All I had to do was to wait for the remaining games with the hope that it will be  my turn to win afterwards.

And my prayer had been granted. I won the third round and the last number that had been drawn was 75, forming a pattern R on my bingo card. How my heart beats with excitement that very moment. The joy was simply overwhelming. It was my first taste of winning a game with a huge prize. And I am extra grateful because on my birthday, I will have some spare amount to treat my colleagues. Wow! The moment was simply awesome.

Though I stayed to play for the last two games, as expected, I did not win afterwards. It will be too much of my luck if I could had won twice but then again, some other players had to win. That's the game of chance.

And the news about me winning the game spread like wildfire. Some people I have known even called me asking for a treat. Hehe. Well, they simply showed some fondness on me winning the game and I assured them that I'll have my treat come my birthday. 

Happy birthday to me.


No comments:

Post a Comment