Sunday, February 6, 2011

Food Trip 3 - Sugarcane Juice

When I was young, one of those fun moments would mean going to a nearby sugarcane field, asking for some free sugarcanes that are about to be harvested, and extract the juice out of the cane to my heart's content. In the province, stuff like this can be asked freely.

It's been ages since my last taste of the sugarcane and I can no longer recall the taste of it. Luckily, during my malling, I happened to encounter a food cart that sells freshly extracted sugarcane juice and one bottle costs 30 pesos. And the good thing is, I don't have to experience extracting the juice from the cane and I don't have to spit out the cane's pulp.

Well, contrary to the common impression, it does not taste like a commercial sugar. Since it is pure, it still has up to 88% water which means a little amount of sucrose to savor. Though unlike other fruit juices, that small bottle is already enough to quench my longing for a sugarcane juice. And I guess I don't want to ask for another bottle. Maybe some other time.

3 comments:

  1. what is the name of the stall? thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sorry but I can no longer recall the name of the stall. I found this stuff at SM City Manila. And I happen to saw another stall at LRT Recto station. Happy hunting. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited SM Manila this day and the name of the stall is CARICA. The stall is located at the supermarket area. They also sell sugarcane juice with malunggay juice extract. :)

    ReplyDelete