Saturday, February 5, 2011

Exploring Philippines 3 - Guimaras Province (Post 3 - Guisi Lighthouse)

As we made our way towards the lighthouse, I was trying to figure out if it would be identical to the lighthouse of the Capones island in Zambales. Old structures like a lighthouse normally brings certain form of enchantment to a visitor like me.

After several steps, the ruins of the lighthouse was within reach. At first, I was not impressed with what I saw. Well, I cannot blame anybody because I already set a high expectation about this place.

The Guisi lighthouse was an 18th century Spanish colonial lighthouse and becomes one of the attraction of the Guimaras province. The deteriorating state of the place – the rusty metals, the remaining concrete posts and walls that are slowly breaking apart – offers some sort of curiosity and wonder of the place. It could had been awesome if its original state has been restored where visitors like me can experience something what it could had been centuries ago.

From a distance, the rusty remains of the lighthouse looked captivating and enchanting. And my driver/guide let me experience an awesome,  hair raising, and nerve chilling climb to the top of the Guisi lighthouse. At first, I was hesitant because some of the metal step panels are no longer connected to metal body of the lighthouse. The only support for these panels is from the metal post at the center of the structure. Though supported only by the main post, the metal panel proved to be sturdy and unmovable. My driver/guide even boasts that he used to climb these steps from time to time alongside with some of his friends.

The steps could be anywhere from 40 to 50. And for each rusty metal panel I stepped at, I simply gave a long sigh and I could honestly hear my heart beating wildly. The climb up looked promising but the fear of heights as well the uncomfortable rusty panels, I just can’t shrugged off easily. I literally took my sweet time and there were instances that I have to pause for a while before taking another step up.

And when I reached the top floor, actually it was only half of the top floor, no amount of comfort can ever calm my troubled spirit. The view was breathtaking and it took me awhile before getting used to the situation. Here I was, most of the time sitting on the rusty platform, enjoying the 360 view of the place. When my fear descended unto the steps of the lighthouse, I bravely took the liberty to stand up and took pictures. Being on top of this old structure was an achievement on my part and every time I took this brave act, I felt much better. Actually, it is just getting used to this kind of activity that my fear recedes. And I hope that I will eventually be able to get rid of this one so that I can really enjoy without struggling what it felt like to be on top of the world.


view from the top of the lighthouse








The lighthouse itself is off-limits because of the possible danger but the caretaker tolerated us that time. Since we were the only visitors and he knows my guide, we had our sweet time at the top of the lighthouse. If I could had stayed near to this place, I would really love to stay on this very spot and watch the sunset. But I just can’t imagine the eerie feeling once darkness slowly creeps in.

After spending almost 20 minutes on the lighthouse and 45 minutes on the entire place, we had to leave because I still had a couple of places to visit. I really enjoyed my stay here even for just a short period of time. The climb up on this lighthouse was a memorable experience, conquering my fear of heights once again, enjoying the beauty of an unspoiled nature, and taking pride of stepping into a cultural heritage site of my country.

No comments:

Post a Comment