Saturday, February 19, 2011

Exploring Philippines 5- Guimaras Province (Post 5 - Macopo Falls)

If I only had a luxury of time, I would like to spend more time within the compound of the monastery. Actually, I was planning to scan the whole place but it will be dark soon and so we had to leave.  I only had this brief moment inside the chapel where I recite my prayer. I wanted to have some pictures of the chapel in different perspective but the priests were meditating and it would not be good to move around taking pictures for I might disturb them.

I asked my guide if we can visit Sadsad falls. I was able to read good reviews of Sadsad falls and I wanted to experience it myself. My guide discouraged me because we will be running out of time because Sadsad falls will cover an hour of trekking in going there alone. And since it was already past 5 in the afternoon, we cannot afford to be caught by darkness along the way. Instead, he brought me to the nearby Macopo falls.

Macopo falls is located at Sta Teresa, Jordan, adjacent to the town's municipal office and public market.  From the Trappist monastery to Macopo falls, it took us less than 10 minutes. And most probably from Sta Teresa market, Macopo falls would be a two to three minutes ride away.

The road to Macopo falls is a typical countryside setting. It is a dirt road, actually. You'll pass some rice fields and some kids grazing their cows and goats. And you don't have to be impatient because after the rice fields, you'll be welcomed by tall trees which is already the end of the road. From here, you'll be hearing the sound of water pouring unceasingly and abundantly. And yes, you're just minutes away from Macopo falls.

The call of the falls gave my spirit and my heart some kind of excitement. After all these years, this would be my very first time to see a live waterfall. And my excitement grew as we progress towards the falls.

The steps going down to the falls are concrete at some point and according to my guide, the area used to have cottages for picnics. But after some time, it seems that nobody cares to rehabilitate the place anymore. Although from what I had seen, the trees are well taken cared of and the wild plants grow into a moderate rate. The whole place is not dense and you'll have a clear view of the environment.

The downhill steps gave me some momentum though I had to be careful because I will be tumbling down if ever I'll lost my footing.  And in the midst of our trek, Macopo falls unraveled its beauty.

I was awed by its beauty right away. I remembered pausing for a while and simply looked at it liked I'd been enchanted. And moments later, I had all this liberty capturing it. It was such a wonderful feeling when you are out and you are being surrounded by nature's beauty. And nothing can really compare the kind of excitement I felt that very moment.

I thought when we reached that part of the slope, we'd simply sat there and feast our eyes on the sight. But I was wrong. My guide coaxed me to go down further until we reach the waterfall. Upon hearing that we can really go to the foot of the falls, my excitement doubled. I knew it would be a total experience when I will be there up close and mesmerized.

The downward slopes were a bit slippery even though it was not wet. There were no concrete steps anymore. Just the trail made by people who found their way down and up the falls. Small rocks can make you slide all the way down to the water if you'll not watch your steps. I had to take my sweet time because I was holding my camera and I had to hold to the very ground that I stepped in, an inched at a time. And when the path looked easy, I merrily run towards the falls.

The water from the falls were flowing abundantly because it was still a wet season. Come summer, the flow of the water decreased dramatically. I was glad that I came here this time of year because it would look different come summer time.

We had the place by ourselves. If I could had brought some extra clothes, I might go for a quick dip because the pool looked enticing. My guide told me that people who visit here usually reward themselves by enjoying the water and he couldn't remember his last time on this pool.  He too wanted to cool down but like me, he was not prepared for this trip.

We lingered for some time until darkness slowly crept in. As we traced our way back, I could not take my eyes off the falls. Though it was not that magnificent and gigantic like the others, still, the experience was for the books. And I was simply thankful about that privilege.

On the way up, I was extremely challenged. I thought it was an easy climb but I was running out of oxygen. Haha. That's what you get if you lack this thing called exercise and when you are getting old. Eventually, at a turtle's pace I reached the top of the steps and I was not feeling well. Cold sweats were rushing down my face and I felt dizzy. I asked my guide to rush to the nearest restaurant and I knew that a warm soup could renew my state. And thank God I was okay.

more pics of the falls





No comments:

Post a Comment