Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Moment 140 - Peacock Surprise

It was in Palawan where I saw for the first time a live peacock.  Haha.  I don't find it hard to share this experience because for the longest time in my life, it was only in the movies, books, and magazines where I saw one.

In the province, I am very much particular with chicken, geese, turkeys, and ducks.  These fowls are being raised by several families in our town and most of the time, they are being prepared for some important celebration in the days to come.  But for a peacock, it is a often a rarity for a particular backyard to own one.  

During my high school days, I had this chance to hold a peacock.  Not a live one though.  Hehe.  As part of our school project, we were tasked to create and produce a pair of ornamental peacocks out of tin cans.  Since patterns were available, the cutting and assembling of the project proved to be easy.  The real challenge was to come up with a good and eye-catching painting of the peacock.  And I was able to sold an extra pair for a modest price.

It was in a small zoo in Palawan when I first saw a real peacock.  I guess I was blessed to see a male one trying to impress his mate.  The male peacock proudly displayed his colorful feathers in order to attract the female.  He really took his sweet time trying to win the heart of the female and he also gave us enough time to get as much picture of his male beauty.  Unluckily, the female was not in the mood for some romance in the middle of the day and in the presence of human spectators.

No comments:

Post a Comment