Sunday, February 19, 2012

Food Trip 57 - Tapang Kalabaw

I never thought of the day that I'll have the chance to taste tapang kalabaw. Even if I grew up in the province, carabao meat is not a common thing in our locality. But in some rural areas, carabao meat is being sold every market day.

There was a time in our province when selling carabao meat was prohibited. If my memory serves me right, it was agreed (or a resolution by authorities had been passed) to ban carabao meat because the carabao is being used in plowing the fields and selling their meat would mean cutting down their numbers.

Anyways, the first time I tasted tapang kalabaw from a known restaurant was not good. Perhaps, I must say that I did not appreciate its flavor. But recently, when I had the chance to taste it again during a family gathering, boy, it was good. If I had not known that it was tapang kalabaw, I could had mistaken it as tapang baka.

No comments:

Post a Comment