Sunday, February 5, 2012

Food Trip 55 - Monggo

When I moved to the city, whenever I encounter monggo, it is always the same thing. People would always prepare monggo with ampalaya leaves. I don't want to think that it is the only combination they can afford to prepare.

We used to prepare monggo in varieties like ginataang monggo, monggo with langka, monggo with malunggay leaves, monggo with papaya, monggo with kalabasa, sauted monggo with sotanghon, etc. A monggo dish with langka and pork is very popular during big events in some rural areas, especially in the Visayan region. And whenever I go home, I would ask for ginataang monggo with langka or ginataang monggo with papaya and malunggay leaves which never fails to make me perspire heavily. 

The city folks would prepare monggo during Fridays because they would like to abstain from red meat. But for us, any day could be a Friday because monggo is always a welcome food in the table. We are simply thankful because we don't have any illness to think about when it comes to legumes.

No comments:

Post a Comment