Saturday, September 3, 2011

Exploring Philippines 33 - Vigan (Post 4 - Baluarte)

After leaving the pottery place and a brief stay at the hidden garden, our last stop was at the Baluarte.

The place was grand with no entrance fee. Upon entering the hall that paves the entrance to place, several species of parrots will greet you (not literally, of course). Actually, the moment we had our picture taking with these birds, the handlers were the ones whispering to us about certain donations but we simply ignore them knowing that no such payment is required.

After having some fun with the parrots, I had my pic taken riding a carriage charging a pony. It was my first time to see a pony and if it was not a scorching afternoon, I could had charge the pony around the oval. Well, a nice pic was a good consolation.

The caged oval ground is the playground and feeding ground of ponies, camels, deers, sheep, ostrich, and ducks. Since animals here are already used to visitors, they don't mind at all the people taking pictures with/of them. If one is adventurous enough, you can freely caress them whenever they are near the fence. When I had a chance to feel the texture of a deer's antler, I wasted no time and the deer simply ignored me. 

There was an ongoing show where the local hosts of baluarte entertains visitors about the different animals they had. Instead of attending the show, we opted to enter the butterfly garden. They had a breeding station where caterpillars are being feed until they turn into butterflies. I noticed that for each species of butterfly, the caterpillars do have different plants preferences as their food.

After our stay at the butterfly garden, the show on the nearby area ended likewise. We decided to visit the place since it is just several steps away from the butterfly garden. Visitors already vacated the place and for the first time, I saw the famed tiger of Chavit Singson. It was already mid-afternoon and the tiger was in the mood for a quick nap.


I asked one of the caretakers if it is possible to have a picture with the tiger, though I was apprehensive about the idea. The caretakers tried to wake up the tiger and made it sit for the picture taking. As I stepped closer to its side, the rapid beating of my heart felt like drumbeats. There were so many what if's at the back of my mind but I might not have any other chance to do this one again. Even if I was a bit nervous, there was this desire to hold or even simply caress this gigantic cat right before me. Haha.




more pics

















No comments:

Post a Comment