Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Moment 98 - Target Shooting

There was one occasion where I got hold of a real gun and that was during my training in ROTC during my college days.

One time, a family friend invited me for a target shooting in a mall using an air gun.  I was quite excited about the invite but I was anxious because honestly speaking, I don't know how to reload a gun nor handle and aim it properly.  But just the thought of it, it would be an additional experience on my end.

My good friend knows how to handle and fire real guns.  Here in Manila, he owns a licensed gun and together with his brother, they oftentimes practice their shooting skills in some firing ranges within the city.  Way back in their hometown, I guess it is safe to say that their family owns several guns and given their vast property, he has all the liberty to practice and hone his shooting skills.

It was early afternoon when we entered the mall and went straight to the booth for target shooting.  As of this writing, the standard price for a set of 4 pellets is 10 pesos and we had 3 sets each.  We went for pistols first.  He oriented me how to reload it, aim it properly as I hold my breath, and take a good look at the target paper before I release my shot.  Well, my first set was good except that I did not hit any part of the 8x11 target paper. Haha.  The reason?  I was actually aiming using the front sight only.  For this reason, all my shots were all upwards and outside the target paper.

We spent our last two remaining sets on a rifle.  That time around, I really took my sweet time aiming at my target and I took a good look at the front sight and the rear sight to make sure that I'll improve my shooting skill. And I was happy with the results.

That first experience of mine got me addicted and whenever I have a free time, I would visit that mall just for a target shooting.  And through time, with each visit, I can now rightfully proclaim that I can also be a good marksman.  I can now hit the right spot.  Aside from the main objective to hit the right spot, I find this activity stress relieving.  And it also teaches me how to focus and be patient.  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment