Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Moment 150 - Motivation

It was almost midday when I arrived at the site.  I planned to visit a nearby falls which is about two kilometers away.  I was told that the best thing to visit the falls would be early in the morning for the sun is much more friendlier during that time.

Anyway, I thought that the trip to the falls was somewhat manageable based on my capacity and past experiences.  My cardio is always my problem during a hard and steep climb.  And as expected, I was really challenged during the first phase of the trip.

Though most of the time we were covered by the shades of coconut trees, the humid temperature and the heat of the sun made it a challenging climb for me.  For my two guides who frequent the place and climbing the mountain is part of their daily routine, I looked like a helpless and trying-hard climber advancing in a turtle-pace manner.  I could not remember the number of times I rested for some minutes because I felt like I was going to pass out.  As expected, a steep climb is always my worst nightmare plus the fact that I was trying my best to keep up with the pace of my guides.

We were already on the even ground when we caught up with a group of visitors who were on their way to the falls also.  I was surprised and amused because I happened to see a seven year old kid that is much heavier than me and managed to reach that far.  Wow!  At his young age and for a first timer given his bearing, it was really an effort for him and his family to made him go with them despite of the challenging path and his weight.  

Though I felt like I was pushing myself to the limits, my motivation was to reach the falls and enjoy its breathtaking view.  I found out later on from the family of that kid that his motivation was a mouth-watering burger.  Haha.  It was good that I also had the same stuff inside my bag otherwise I might droll over seeing this wonder boy enjoying his reward after a tough climb.

To Andre, my full admiration and respect.

No comments:

Post a Comment