Sunday, October 28, 2012

Food Trip 93 - Mabolo

I was still in my elementary days when I had my first taste of mabolo.  During that time, mabolo were scarce already.

Recently, when I cruise the busy streets of Quiapo, I happened to pass by at the only fruit stand that sells mabolo.  Wow!  After several decades of not even seeing mabolo in flesh, here I was, trying to reminisce those good old days while staring at the fruit stand and wearing a childish smile.

The vendor asked me how many kilos I wanted to buy but I prefer only a medium sized one, just to have a recollection of its taste.  I asked the vendor to peel its skin for me because the tiny sponges will cause itchiness and irritation when it comes in contact with our skin.  The texture of the fruit is close to that of an apple and its taste is somehow similar also to an apple. But after awhile, you'll disassociate its taste to an apple which makes its taste unique.
I am happy because I was able to experience again eating a mabolo.

No comments:

Post a Comment