Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Moment 152 - Grasshopper


We were resting by the roadside and waiting for our colleagues when I went around and starting poking at things that fancied my attention.  I was surprised to see several grasshoppers in a plant and I got curious.


From what I'd seen in a documentary about grasshoppers, the moment they multiply in numbers and become dreadful, they are called locusts.  They would devour anything along their way, including their kind.  That's the reason why they keep on advancing.  They were trying to avoid the one that is next to them because they won't hesitate to devour their own kind.

For quite some time now, I have not seen a grasshopper.  Urban folks are normally denied of this kind of sighting.  The sight of a grasshopper reminds of a childhood that was full of fun and full of life.

Anyway, I thought that the grasshopper on that plant was simply resting.  As I looked intently at it, I noticed that it was actually feeding.  The plant was local to that area and is included in the people's dish.  But what gave me goosebumps was the sight of more grasshoppers feeding on the same plant.  And seeing them feed on the plant, they can literally turn the plant into a skeleton in no time.

No comments:

Post a Comment