Sunday, May 26, 2013

Food Trip 123 - Paksiw na Tulingan

To start with, I don’t appreciate any paksiw dish.  I grew up with a total dislike to any dish with vinegar.  And I won’t bother to eat if paksiw is the only dish on the table.

Folks at home love the tulingan fish.  Since we don’t have a refregirator, one of the ways to preserve the food for several days is by cooking it with vinegar.  And if this is the dish they are going to prepare, I would parade my long face in protest.

Somehow, there are always ways to circle around and do some innovations in order to like the food.  Since I am fond of fried food, my mother would fry the paksiw na tulingan in order to lessen or get rid of the vinegar taste.  And yes, the taste is great.  Since then, I would do the ritual time and again just to eat a paksiw na tulingan with much gusto.

No comments:

Post a Comment